Actual tatting was done!

Looky, looky, there be tatting!  For the first time in almost two weeks, I was able to sit down Sunday and tat.  I didn't get as far as I would have liked, but that I got anything done is amazing! 
The edging is made with size 20 Lizbeth #115 "Springtime".  I just started tatting with an idea of what I wanted and I think it is coming along nicely. Hopefully it won't take me two weeks to finish it : -)

Some of the reason I haven't had time to tat is family visiting, which is a good reason not to have gotten anything done.  Having two 3-year-olds and a 10 month old around for several days makes it interesting to get anything done except enjoying and playing with them.  And who would want to do anything else?  Certainly not Grandma (me)!

I did get tatting out to the public a week ago.  The senior center that my mother volunteers at, and is a member of, had a show-and-tell day to share their hobbies with the community.  Mom wanted to share a table with my sister and I - my sister embroiders and my mother collects (and wears) hats.  The local paper even did an article on my mom when they were doing a write-up about the day.  She brought 37 hats in and it was decided to give her, and my sister and I, the quilting/sewing room to accommodate them. 
My mom and a few of her tats.

This is a picture of my mother (on the left) and her two sisters in their hats at the show-and-tell.  Mom was very excited to share all of her hats. 

I had been planning on this day for about a month and even had some ideas to make a few cute and quick things for it.  Unfortunately I had been working some very long days and weeks so had to settle for things I already had on hand.  I was supposed to be there at least by nine on Saturday,  bringing both my tatting and my sister's things as she had to work.  My daughter from Nebraska decided to come down that weekend as well, which is great. Then Friday night she went out for the evening with her cousins and I was home with both of her children and my other daughter's little boy, alone, as my husband had to work (I had taken a day of vacation). The kids were all great, but they were kids and I didn't get much sleep. When I finally did I overslept. I didn't get up to the senior center until almost 9:30 a.m. and the doors were to open at 10:00 a.m.  It was a case of lay out the table cloth and start putting out our things as fast as possible.  

My sister has been giving classes on scrap-booking at the senior center so had some pages and books for that as well as her embroidery.  Good thing they gave Mom the whole room, the table was crowded with just my sister and my hobbies, and the hats take up a lot of room. 

I found I had more tatted items at home than I thought I did.

I had quite a few opportunities to share my love of tatting with others.  This woman's mother had tatted but she had never done it herself. She had a lot of questions about it so I demonstrated how to do a chain with two colors.  Throughout the day there were a lot of the usual comments about tatting being a 'lost' art, so this was a great chance to let them see it's not lost completely and has been 'found' by quite a few people.  Several people expressed interest in taking classes if they were offered, so I might have the chance to share it with more.  This would be as a volunteer to mostly older people (so speaks a grandmother!) but I think it would be a lot of fun. 

I'm back on 'regular' nine hour days at work again, so I'm looking forward to having more time to tat again. Which is good because I just got Sherry's new book in the mail yesterday *happy dance*. This book looks great and I'm really looking forward to making the items in this book and learning this technique.  

"Grab your coat, and get your hat, Leave your worry on the doorstep. Just direct your feet, To the sunny side of the street."
Dorothy Fields

Labels: , , , ,