In July I started a Round Robin Doily
through Craftree. I tatted several of the centers for my doily trying to come up with one I was happy with. The last sample that I made before I did one 'for real' is almost the same as the final except it has several places where I changed stitch counts which I didn't go back and change. It was a trial. But it still looked pretty good.
So I thought I'd use it for another sample. I thought this center would look good as the bottom of a tatted bag. At least as the bottom of a trial tatted bag.
Round Robin Doily center as the bottom of the bag.
The first few rounds went very close to my vision except for a few changes in stitch count. As this is a trial and the stitch count change very minimal I didn't go back and change them, just left it as tatted.
Tatted bag sides
For whatever reason I made the split ring round a bit too big. I had even started with smaller rings and changed my mind - I'm not sure what I was thinking. I like the idea, but definitely need to change the counts there.
The bare thread sections at the top are a little too long, Well, they might not be when I finally get a material lining made. That is material around a larger ball of thread inside the bag, filling it out so I can see what works and what doesn't. If it was the actual lining I suppose the tatting would be stitched to it and it would work/look better.
I had a lot of fun making this. I'm not sure when I'll get back to it to finish all the details and make a lining for it as there are a lot of other things waiting to be done. But when I do I will already know a few places I need to change. It should go faster and easier then.
"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely."
Labels: bag, doily, round robin