Tatting Tea Tuesday on Flag Day

Are your flags flying today? It's Flag Day today here in the United States. My family observed Flag Day when I was young, and still do today. I've done so, some years with more awareness than others. And I'm sure I learned all about it in grade school but I had to look it up to refresh my memory. If you are interested in a short history of Flag Day you might try this site.


© Wanda Salmans


In the midst of all the things that are going on in my life right now I hadn't really noticed that it was going to be Flag Day today until yesterday. I thought it would be nice to have a little something to wear to celebrate the day. And I needed a little break from my Heart's Honor bookmark diagramming. I grabbed red, white and blue thread on my way out to work yesterday and started this little pin. I finished it this morning while I ignored a few other things I should have been doing. I'm going to wear it to work today. If my count is correct this will be #20 of my second 25 Motif Challenge. I've done a few more things that could have been counted but I keep forgetting to until I've already posted!


While at Hobby Lobby in Wichita this week I happened to notice a yarn shop I hadn't seen before called Odd Balls Yarn Shop. I hadn't noticed it before because it just opened in March (I don't get to Hobby Lobby as much as I'd like to). I had a whole list of things to do but I decided to take a few minutes and check it out - maybe it carried tatting thread. It's a nice, large shop with an area for open stitch (chatting area) and a lot of yarn for knitting and crocheting but I didn't see anything for tatting. But I did see some finished tatting that was for sale. I got to meet the tatter-in-house and we spoke a little of tatting and threads and such. She said that the buyer was currently at a (thread? fiber?) show and was planning on bringing home some shuttles and threads, brands as yet unknown. So this is definitely a shop to keep in mind if you are in Wichita and need a place to sit and stitch and would like to talk to other fiber artists. And maybe purchase some thread or shuttles :-)

The Heart's Honor pattern is currently being test tatted - or the top, heart part is. So far it has few issues, but I have gotten some great feedback from the test tatters. Thanks to all of you who are helping me out. I'm having some difficulties with the second part, mostly trying to get the perspective correct. I should have more time to get into it after this weekend so I'll get serious then.


Today for Tatting Tea Tuesday I had iced green tea with a squirt of MIO liquid Mango Peach. It was delicious! And I was tatting my flag pin while I sipped it - totally into the communi-tea today.


Pledge of Allegiance
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all"


Francis Bellamy

Labels: , , ,